During the holidays, I love treating my family to our favorite holiday meals. Last night, oxtails were requested and my husband Doug was in hog-heaven chowing down on my Slow Cooked Oxtails and gravy at dinner. This recipe will have you eating tender, moist, and juicy fall-off-the-bone oxtails that will definitely be a family favorite during the holidays if they aren’t already. Get the full recipe below!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 Hours
2 pk oxtails
1/2 yellow onion sliced
2 cloves garlic smashed
1/2 tsp season all
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups beef broth
2 cups water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan on medium/high heat. We are going to sear the oxtails, so you want the heat to be on the higher end to brown oxtails without cooking them.
2. Season oxtails with season all, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, and cajun seasoning. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and mix seasoning evenly throughout.
3. Once the oil is hot, add oxtails to the pan, searing for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are nice and brown, then remove the oxtails from the pan, set them aside in a separate dish, and lower heat just a tad bit.
4. Add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Remove onions and garlic from the pan, and set aside in the dish with the oxtails. Do not drain the oil.
5. Add flour to oil and whisk until the mixture thickens and is no longer lumpy.
6. Pour in water and beef broth and stir until the mixture is combined throughout. Turn off the heat.
7. Add oxtails, onions, and garlic to a crockpot and pour the juice mixture from the pan overtop. Cover with the crockpot lid, turn heat on high, and cook for 8 hours. Your oxtails will be tender, juicy, and full of flavor after slow cooking in the gravy mixture for hours.
8. Plate, serve, and enjoy.
Comment below, and tell me what you think!
Serving tip: I recommend serving oxtails and gravy over a bed of jasmine rice or mashed potatoes. Don’t forget to add a side of your favorite veggies!
What I used: